Isaiah 9:1-4; Psalm 27:1, 5-13; 1 Corinthians 1:10-18; Matthew 4:12-23
John has been arrested à Nazareth à Capernaum
Fulfill the prophecy of Isaiah
Repent for the Kingdom of Heaven has come near
Calling of Peter, Andrew, James & John
Travelled throughout Galilee
Proclaiming the Good News of the Kingdom
Curing every disease and every sickness among the people
Inauguration of Donald Trump as President of the United States of America
“Pussyhats”, Women’s march on DC, Chicago, Lansing and around the world
What is a disciple?
- Someone who learns, a student or follower of Jesus
- Someone who takes an interest in Jesus, in learning as much about Jesus as possible, in learning as much as possible from Jesus
- The acquisition of knowledge or skills through experience, study or by being taught
o Jesus taught them, explaining his parables
o Jesus read scripture and taught what it meant
o Studied the word of God
o Jesus sent his disciples out into the towns he planned to visit
- In the Gospel according to John, John the Baptist was a witness to Jesus telling his own disciples about Jesus and they left John and followed Jesus
- In Matthew’s Gospel, Jesus calls to Peter, Andrew, James and John, “Follow me, and I will make you fish for people”.
- Jesus had many followers but twelve disciples that he spent a lot of time with teaching them the Good News of the Kingdom
- If each of his disciples then taught 12 people, who then each taught 12 people, who then taught 12 people, and so on, soon everyone would know the Good News of the Kingdom
What does it mean to fish for people, to catch people?
- To draw people into the Kingdom of Heaven, to draw people to God
Jesus is a teacher, preacher and healer - Jesus is a leader
What is a teacher?
· A person who teaches especially in a school
What is a preacher?
· Someone who publicly proclaims or teaches a religious message or belief
· Earnestly advocate a belief or course of action
· Moral advice
What does it mean to proclaim?
· Announce/declare publicly or officially
· Declare something one considers important with due emphasis
· Demonstrate or indicate clearly
What is a healer?
· A person who claims to be able to cure a disease or injury with special powers
· A person or thing that mends or repairs something
· Something that alleviates a person’s distress or anguish
· (of a person or treatment) cause (a wound, injury or person) to become sound or healthy again
· Correct or put right (an undesirable situation)
What is a leader?
· To show the way, to provide an example for others to follow, to take the initiative in an action
· To cause a person or animal to go with one by holding them by the hand, a halter, a rope, etc, while moving forward
What do we expect from a leader?
· To show a clear vision for the future
· To lead the way, providing an example
· To provide an example or vision that people want to follow
· To be passionate
· Specificity, empowerment, vulnerability showing understanding, compassion and empathy, honesty (transparency, trustworthy, open up their hearts and lead with kindness)
· To feel valued
· Someone who focuses more on the needs of the organization and the people they serve than their own personal agendas
· A leader makes people feel safe, providing an environment where they can thrive, giving them the right tools and resources to be successful
· Best leaders build trust by never letting people down when they are needed most
· Humble, vulnerable leaders never forget where they started and can relate to others
· Compassionate, empathic, they know how unfair the world is especially without the right leadership
· Welcome outsiders, diversity, different ideas
· Build trust and unify people
· Sheep expect a shepherd to be concerned for their safety, to know them by name, to be gentle and kind, to rescue them, to be unselfish, to be sincere, to care deeply for them